A writer could get in big trouble here. Nevertheless, here goes. Personally, I have mixed emotions. I’ve had a few leaks in my life…water leaks that is…and I hate to see them. They mean that I have some leaky pipes, places where rainwater can get in or some other regrettable fault in roof or plumbing. In the case of water leaks, it is better to be aware of them in order to make needed repairs. Fuel leaks, air leaks (drafts), and other sorts of leaks too personal to mention here…all signal problems that need to be dealt with.
In the same way, WikiLeaks exposes some faults and problems that need fixing.
1. Somebody with access to state secrets has, for love, fame or money, spilled the state beans.
2. Somebody is sloppy and careless with what they know that could harm others or be otherwise damaging/destructive/dangerous.
3. Someone thinks that keeping secrets at all is counterproductive to their view of how the world should be.
4. There are probably others I haven’t thought of yet (feel free to make a contribution here).
It turns out some of our folks have said some less-than-flattering things about leaders in other countries. These have been “leaked” by the informants of Mr. Assange and there is hell to pay. Our State Department is scrambling like a drowning rat to do damage-control.
But there are other significant leaks as well. For example, reporters Juan Gonzalez and Amy Goodman have learned from U.S. diplomatic cables released by WikiLeaks that the Bush administration drew up ways to retaliate against Europe for refusing to use Monsanto’s genetically modified seeds. Conclusion: we have more problems than we thought. Monsanto is the very definition of a bully. The rest of the world sees the U.S. as a bully. So one bully is taking up the disgraceful cause of another bully…good grief!
It seems to me there are a couple of reasons for keeping secrets:
1. It is vital to our nation’s defense, just like any other strategic matter.
2. You’ve got something to hide that, if revealed, will bring you trouble/shame/disgrace, etc.
I have been very angry with Mr. Assange for his willy-nilly revelations made without consideration of the potential damage. On the other hand, revelations such as the collusion of two bullies to force their agenda on others need to be exposed to the light.
Speaking of light, I can think of another bit of news that everyone needs to know. It is the good news of a way of reconciling the created to their Creator and, hence, to each other. It is a way to have peace on earth and good will among men with whom God is pleased. It isn’t a secret, but we handle it like one. Shame on us! Maybe we need some professional help. So, Mr. Assange, if you will contact me, I will tell you this secret and you can leak it for all you’re worth!