Why do we bother to teach history if we are determined to ignore it? Maybe you slept through your history classes (it has a lot to do with the attitude and style of the coach who taught you) or studied just enough to pass. So, as a public service, here are some facts you may have forgotten.
- No outside power has been able to gain and retain power in Afghanistan. That’s right, none.
- Remember the Crusades? Every time foreign (Western) armies enter the Middle East, for good or ill, the inhabitants are reminded of those ancient incursions. And, since they never forget, the vast majority will hate your guts.
- In the process of conquering the known world, the Romans spread their armies too thin. Consequently, they were unable to defend themselves when attacked.
- Why have we not learned the lessons from those who previously tried to occupy and control Afghanistan?
- Why can’t we see that we cannot win the hearts and minds of the Middle East through military might?
- Why do we continue to act like the world’s policemen and sacrifice the lives of our young women and men and maintain garrisons around the world? Can we defend our own nation when the time comes?
The answer, my friend, is not blowin’ in the wind. It is there, in black and white, in the history books.