Just a few thoughts prompted by congressman Wiener’s indiscretions:
- 1. The congressman is not the first to lose his brain somewhere along the way regarding sexual matters. I dare say most of us men have brainlessly given in (or been strongly tempted) to illicit sexual impulses.
- A little sympathy is due to the man whose world has crumbled. He has destroyed his career as a public figure. He lives in a glass house and his indiscretions were, and ultimately are, public and potentially career-ending. Shall we write him off or give him a chance to clean up his career and marriage?
- You self-righteous politicians (on both sides of the aisle) need to shut up. You know you are self-centered and politically motivated. If something similar happened to you, what would you want others to “do unto you” as you have done?
- Let us pause and remember politicians and presidents who have fornicated and committed adultery and are still lionized by those who know the history but have chosen to ignore it. Do you need names here? Of course not.
- Did the congressman’s exposures need to be exposed? Absolutely! Such behavior on the part of a representative of the people must not be tolerated. He didn’t just slip into lewd behavior, he dove head-first into it.
- As you know, Mr. Wiener resigned publically amidst catcalls and insults. Yes, his actions were uber despicable. But, under tremendous pressure to resign, he did so. Let him go in peace! Time will tell if he’s learned any lessons.
- Finally, what would Jesus do? If you really want to know, read John 8:1-11.
Now it could be that none of my readers has ever come close to making a serious sexual mistake – even if it is only in your mind. If that is the unlikely case, you apparently have permission to cast the first stone. If not, then just go on about your business, leave the congressman alone and seek to be pure of mind and heart.
Is Mr. Wiener redeemable or incorrigible? Since all I know is what I read in the papers or see on television, I don’t have a clue. I do find myself, however, wishing that I could talk to him and see if he is open to the forgiveness and redemption that is in Christ Jesus. I believe he might like the idea of “walking in newness of life.”
Filed under Adultery, Condemnation, Current Events, Good & Evil, Hypocrisy, Infidelity, Jesus Christ, Judgmental, Men's Issues, morality, Politics, Redemption, Ridicule, sex
My wife, visiting granddaughter and I just finished watching the much-heralded motion picture, Date Night starring Steve Carell and Tina Fey on our cable service. Okay, we’re cheap. It was rated PG13 which means that it may be inappropriate for children younger than 13 and even that should involve parental guidance. Well, I am in my late 60’s and it was certainly inappropriate for me. But then again, I have morals.
When did this culture decide that comedy had to be filthy? This could have been an adventure in hilarity without the continual obscenities and references to male and female genitalia, anal sex, masturbation, group sex and prostitution. These were not sexual innuendos, they were explicit references. We tried to fast-forward through the sullied parts but it was so replete with smut that we were not completely successful.
Nothing in the trailers and interviews hinted at such shenanigans so we were unprepared for the dirty bits. Shame on those responsible for this bit of cultural decadence and shame on me for not checking with some of the numerous Christian motion picture review sites! I looked at them after watching the movie and realized the information that could have kept me from wasting my time and money with this crude mess was there for the reading.
While I was on the review sites, I decided to look up Eat, Pray, Love. Thankfully, I now have enough information about this motion picture to Eat my own food, Pray to my one, almighty God and love my wife and family. However, if you want to follow the antics of a self-centered, narcissistic, amoral person who deserts her devoted husband to “find herself,” this little gem is for you.
Filed under Adultery, Culture Wars, Good & Evil, Infidelity, Life, Love, Love and Marriage, Meaning of Life, morality, Motion Pictures, Prayer, sex
First, let me get you to read an article by my friend and brother Ron Carlson. This is a great article about the simple ways marriages can be made strong and unbreakable. While you’re at it, you might want to subscribe to Grace Centered Magazine. Lots of wholesome, helpful articles.
Let me add something to the above article. I have found that if I can get couples to read and practice the characteristics of love found in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, they can get their marriage off the rocks. I require that they read it to each other each evening before bedtime…one reads it to the other in turn…and then pray for God’s help in practicing these characteristics. It hasn’t failed yet. There you have it…free marriage counseling!
“…you have broken faith with her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant” (Malachi 2:14). In the last 18 months, I have had personal dealings with two beloved men. In addition to other associations with me, they are my brothers in Christ. They have broken my heart and the hearts of those who love them, their children and their extended families. I am putting this on my blog for them and for others who may be involved in similar circumstances.
It is addressed to these men but I am aware that women are often bogged in the same tragic muck. To all of you I say: there is no need to stay stuck in this morass. You can get out. If you do it quickly and decisively you can, with God’s help, find some measure of true joy. I have personally offered to help you both…that offer still stands.
My dear loved one,
So, you’ve decided to leave your wife…maybe for another woman…maybe just to explore other options. And, you are doing this in spite of the fact that your wife still loves you, has been faithful to you and, perhaps most importantly, children are involved. Well, I have a few things to say about that. Continue reading